|Falling Springs Waterfall|
What is There to Do While I Visit?
The Claiborne House is the perfect place to use as a hub as you are traveling. We are centrally located, and there are so many things to do, or just relax and take in the fresh mountain air. See the basket of rack cards in the parlor basket for more things to see and do in the area.
1. or sit by the pond, relax on the porch with a glass of wine and a book. Dine at El Rio Mexican Grill on our corner (full bar), or Bootleggers Café a couple blocks walk away. Then wander on over to for some live music (big name bands and performers play weekly) Harvester-music. com
2. at Mountain Wineries – we recommend Chateau Morrisette Winery and Villa Appalaccia for magnificent views from The Blue Ridge Parkway and fantastic food. Chateau Morrisette is located 1 hours’ drive from us up on the BRP at Mile Post 171 and Villa Appalaccia just one mile from that at MP 170! Or pack a picnic.
3. as you visit National D-Day Memorial in Bedford, placed in Bedford as they lost more men per capita than any other place in the USA. Bedford Boys was the book written about this brave community; the movie Saving Private Ryan made after these boys. Enjoy dinner in an old train depot the Olde Liberty Station for great diner fare and award winning cheesecake. Or stop at Homestead Creamery on the way home in Burnt Chimney for fresh home churned ice cream (no additives) you can see the dairy cows out back (closed Sundays).
4. for our quirky art museum, transportation museum, O. Winston Link museum, and some fantastic restaurants, many feature live music in the evenings. Don’t forget your camera and go to the famous Texas Tavern. Park and walk to all of these places. Parking is free after 5pm in certain lots. Walk the famous Farmers Market, take in a live show at Mill Mountain Theater and end your evening at Mill Mountain Coffee. This is just 25 minutes north on HWY 220.
25 miles to Memorial Ave in Roanoke (closed Sundays). Eat lunch at Grandin Village: Local Roots, POPS Ice Cream Parlor, Nopales (closed Mondays)
· Hunt for Fairy Stones at “Fairy Stone State Park” (1 hour drive)
· where the Civil War ended and The Museum of the Confederacy where they house General Lee’s sword and uniform and more (1 hour 40 drive)
· (all over the place, “Grassy Hill Natural Area Preserve” is just 2 miles drive, see the list attached to this)
· – Kayaking, Pontoon, Speedboat, Jet Ski, SUP, Sailing (25 minute drive “Bridgewater Plaza” Smith Mtn Lake)
· Fishing – Citation brown trout in our rivers or in our lakes (Depends on where you go, 45 minute+ drive)
· Stock Car Racing in The Blue Ridge at “” (Sun nights Jun-Oct a 20 minute drive) and NASCAR at “” (the paper clip! 35 minute drive)
· with our local wing-dings walk to “” in downtown Rocky Mount for live music (5 minute walk), or drive up the famous “Shooting Creek Road” past the moonshiners to reach the “” (50 minute drive).
Visit our website for pages of things to see and do in this area with web-links and directions: www.ClaiborneHouse.net