From BlogVirginia.org posted by Casey | Posted on October 7th, 2011
Fall in Virginia is for train lovers. Families and couples alike will love these upcoming railroad-themed events.
- This weekend, October 8-9, is the Historic Appomattox Railroad Festival in downtown Appomattox. The event celebrates the Depot donated by Norfolk & Southern in 1973, and includes a street dance, parade, amusement rides, fine art show, and a brand new attraction – Masters of the Chainsaw. The festival goes on 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. Saturday and 12 to 5 p.m. Sunday.
- The round-trip Amtrak excursions from Roanoke to Abingdon, Bristol, and Bluefield, WV will sell-out quickly, so you’ll want to jump on these.
- November 5: Depart Roanoke for Abingdon and Bristol. Passengers will have 3 1/2 hours to enjoy nearby attractions in Abingdon, including the brand new Heartwood Center. The train will continue on to Bristol and passengers can choose to ride down or be picked up on the way back. There will be no touring time in Bristol. Feel free to order a boxed lunch with your tickets.
- November 6: Depart Roanoke for Bluefield, WV. The attraction on this excursion is the ride itself. Several bridges, tunnels, and amazing scenery await passengers. Several restaurants are within walking distance of the station in Bluefield, and will welcome you to dine before heading back to Roanoke.
- Rates: $150/adult and $95/child. Dome class: $275. Lounge class: $215
- For Tickets: 540-774-0611
- Print the Brochure
- While in Roanoke, do make plans to visit the Virginia Museum of Transportation and the O. Winston Link Museum.
- Ashland Train Day, to be held November 5, is a family event with mini train rides, loads of model trains, a locomotive moon bounce, and many vendors, not to mention the real trains passing through all day long. You’re encouraged to look the part of a conductor and definitely bring your camera. Best of all? This is a free event!
The Claiborne House Bed and Breakfast is 25 minutes to downtown Roanoke to the O Winston Link Museum and Virginia Museum of Transportation, and highly recommends a visit to both! We are also an hour and 15 minutes to historic Appomattox!
Life is too short for bad coffee...Shellie your innkeeper @ The Claiborne House Bed and Breakfast in Rocky Mount, VA - Blue Ridge Country! You can book your room online at any time right here http://www.claibornehouse.net/